Thursday, April 24, 2008

Ilk bahar geliyor

I am loving the spring sunshine. The neighbours celebrated its arrival by promptly cutting down the sole tree providing shade to our kitchen and afterwards cementing half of their garden.

However, the positive spin on this is that Kebap and I now have a uninterrupted view of the Cihangir Mosque from the larger of the apartment's two balconies. The wisteria's looking fine too.

Well, tomorrow it's ANZAC Day and the multitude Australians and New Zealanders in town last week have disappeared further south and, as I write, are undoubtedly stirring from their hotel beds in the Dardanelles to begin the bus journey that will take them to the Gelibolu Peninsula National Park. The first of the Memorial Services will take place in a few hours and thousands of Antipodeans will remember, lest they forget, the sacrifice that so many made and will continue to make as long as we still feel the need as a species to conquer each other, take what doesn't belong to us and kill someone who might otherwise be our neighbour.

After visiting Lone Pine and other sites last year I was often moved to tears. I know it's naive to suggest that we can live in a world without war. There are simply too many evil and self-serving governments on the planet who stand to lose their sanctimonious idealogical raison d'etre if they don't possess an 'other' whose sole function is to relegate us to history. Or so they would have us believe. Get them before they get us. I've not naive enough to believe that anything is ever going to change.

However, it's paradoxical that I now find myself on the soil of a friendly country and that was seemingly our enemy not so long ago.

I hope those who visit Gallipoli over the upcoming days will find it the humbling experience that I underwent.

Below is an unsourced quote by Paul Rodrigues that I found on the Net:

Sometimes I think war is God's way of teaching us geography.
And you have to admit that these days, even the average Westerner can find Baghdad on the map.

No comments: